The history of Greenwood, La., was filled with romance, feuds, fights and stirring events true to wild western form. Many a man "bit the dust" with his boots on in this last outpost for mail to the West. Letters were often marked “Hold for Texas,” when the twice-a-year visitors would collect their mail. A flourishing town in the 1850s, Greenwood had a tan yard, a saddlery, one distillery, three brick yards, a wagon and plow factory, a foundry and machine shop, a blacksmith shop, a tin shop, 7 stores, a Masonic Lodge, two two-story schools, five doctors, a Methodist Church, a 15-room hotel, and 9 thriving saloons, Traffic was heavy, averaging 100 wagons a day - pulled by 8 or 10 oxen to the wagon. In 1974, a small group of citizens, proud of their rich and colorful history in this area, met and organized for the first Greenwood Pioneer Club. The Greenwood Pioneer Club - a non-profit, community-minded organization - planned and directed the first Greenwood Pioneer Heritage Festival in 1979.
The Pioneer Building (located in William Peters Town Park) housed the Greenwood Fire Department for many years. The alarm bell is still in the park.
Management, L. L. C.
Compliance & Consultation Services
Have a specific question
All numbers have a 318 area code.
Historic Dunn House - Built in the 1840's
In 1995, a group of citizens led by the Greenwood Pioneer Club and the Greenwood Women’s club, started on a venture to save a decaying old home that had once been a Confederate Hospital. It has sat vacant for many years in a field next door to the wrecking yard unnoticed by many and an eye sore for many. Soon there was a sign put up and people began the arduous task to save the old Dunn House.
After a lot of work, barbeques and other fund raisers, the money was raised to move the house to a new location in the center of Town next door to Town Hall. The property was donated by Glen Graves at the wishes of Mildred Baker Meeker.
Many people volunteered their time and money to put the house back in shape to become a museum. Months went by before the mammoth task would be completed. Theyard was landscaped and a fence was put up. A Confederate Hospital flag flew from the flag pole in the front yard. There are many interesting stories surrounding the move and the first years of this home. We hope to have some of them published for your review later on as theybecome available. If you look at the pictures before and after, you will see how a miracle was performed by some interested citizens.
After the house was moved to it’s new location a surprise awaited the towns people. The parlor was covered in a layer of sheet rock. The decision was made to take the sheet rock down to allow the cypress walls to show. When the sheet rock was removed the beautiful stencil was discovered. Now they had a real treasure. There are only three houses in Louisiana with stenciling of this caliber in existence today.
Information provided by the Greenwood Chamber of Commerce
The McClurg House and family (circa 1914) - The grandmother of William Peters McClung, for whom the Greenwood town park is named, is third from the left in front.
Life is good
Copyright © Town of Greenwood.
Please help keep Greenwood green. Don't be a litter bug!